[fpc-devel] FPC 2.3.1 seems a mixed mess with Unicode support

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Thu Sep 17 09:33:48 CEST 2009

Jonas Maebe wrote:
> The way to implement stuff like that is to call the appropriate library
> functions. It makes no sense to completely re-implement everything in
> the RTL.

Of course I have been supposing that (if possible) the RTL would call a
library function. But it makes no difference: If the algorithm to
"normalize" the multi-character codes (if this is possible at all) needs
a table of several GBytes and CPU time of several Minutes, this is not a
viable option, may it be done in RTL or in library code.

So doing software (that e.g. in a document file finds a Text the user
inputs in an Edit filed) that decently deals with that stuff seems
impossible to do.

-Michael