[fpc-devel] iphone development

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Wed Sep 16 16:14:20 CEST 2009

On 16 Sep 2009, at 11:13, Jonas Maebe wrote:

> We don't distribute an interface to most iPhone frameworks, in part
> because the iPhone SDK licensing agreement forbids distributing any
> derivative works. The Mono guys apparently ignore this and do
> distribute a bunch of XML files generated from the files included in
> the iPhone SDK. So keep in mind that you are violating Apple's
> licensing agreement if you use their stuff (although Apple doesn't
> seem to care much about that, given that a lot of applications based
> on an engine using the precursor of MonoTouch, namely Unity3D, are
> shipping already). At any point, an application you write using that
> stuff could probably be yanked from the Apple store though (unless
> the Mono people have a redistribution agreement with Apple, but I
> doubt that).

They also copied (pre-release) documentation from Apple onto their
website: http://www.go-mono.com/docs/index.aspx?tlink=20@ecma%3a143%23NSObject%2fM

I'm quite sure they have never asked permission to do so (nor would
they get it). I would strongly recommend against trying to get Apple
to take it down though, since would only have downsides (it won't help
us get permission, it will hurt developers using MonoTouch, and it
will hurt users who want the application being written using that
framework).

Jonas