[fpc-devel] FPC 2.3.1 seems a mixed mess with Unicode support

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Wed Sep 16 11:37:08 CEST 2009

On 16 Sep 2009, at 11:30, Michael Schnell wrote:

> Jonas Maebe wrote:
>>
>> There are definitions of "canonical forms" (both "composed" and
>> "decomposed") of utf strings ...
>
> So unless the rtl automatically offers this, the user is required to
> take care of this by hand any time he tries to analyze a string in
> any way.

Analysing strings by hand not a very smart thing to do with unicode
strings. And if you want to do that, you most certainly should convert
them to a canonical form first.

> Code from hell !!!!

That's what assembler programmers said when compilers were introduced
("why can't I control anymore exactly how my data is laid out so I can
save 2 instructions in my function, because I know that variable A
comes right after variable B in memory").

Jonas