[fpc-devel] FPC 2.3.1 seems a mixed mess with Unicode support

Luiz Americo Pereira Camara pascalive at bol.com.br
Tue Sep 15 18:04:33 CEST 2009

Graeme Geldenhuys escreveu:
> Martin Schreiber het geskryf:
>
>> I think there is a misunderstanding. FPC UnicodeString type is identical to
>> widestring on all platforms except Windows. On Windows widestring is actual a
>> not reference counted OLE-string.
>>

> The problem as, that it's very different to Delphi. Bottom line: not
> Delphi compatible and very misleading.

In my view, to get the fpc unicode support in a good state would be
necessary to implement the encoding field in the string type so
converting strings can be done system independently (seems to be the
case of cpstr branch) and add a RTLString type to minimize conversions
when creating a unicode RTL

> To quote Jonas Maebe:
> "The problem is that Delphi 2009's "unicodestring" type is something
> completely different. It is what you (Florian) are developing in the
> cpstr branch. Our current unicodestring is an utf16string or something
> like that."

Luiz