[fpc-devel] FPC 2.3.1 seems a mixed mess with Unicode support

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Tue Sep 15 14:55:27 CEST 2009

In our previous episode, Michael Schnell said:
> If we really want a "character", MyChar would need to be a 32-Bit thing,
> and (in case of UTF, the [n] notation would need to scan the Unicode
> byte stream to find it, but I don't know if it's implemented in that way.)

Afaik a character in the unicode sense can consist out of multiple
codepoints. (e.g. for languages that have many possibilities of combining
"accents" where there doesn't exist a glyph for every combination)

So a character (as something that prints a whole) can consist out of
multiple 32-bit values (codepoints)