[fpc-devel] building pdf documentation

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg at opensoft.homeip.net
Wed Sep 9 16:17:46 CEST 2009

Marco van de Voort het geskryf:

> Install fpc. The below error might indicate that FPC can't be found from
> which it obtains platform and version.

I have FPC installed, but on my new system (2 weeks old) I didn't have
fpc in the PATH environment setup.

After that, I got a bit futher, running the following command:

make pdf FPCSRCDIR=/opt/fpc_2.3.1/src/

Now for that could work it said that it couldn't find a4.sty.  I had to
download another 270MB from apt repository to fullfill that
dependency!!! That's 340MB downloaded so far just for LaTeX support on
my system.

Now I do 'make pdf ....bla bla' again and this time I got 100's of lines
as shown below....

------------------------
No documentation node found for identifier :
#rtl.sysutils.EHeapMemoryError.FreeInstance
No documentation node found for identifier : #rtl.Classes.TCollection.Sort
No documentation node found for identifier :
#rtl.Classes.TStrings.StrictDelimiter
No documentation node found for identifier :
#rtl.Classes.TAbstractObjectReader.ReadUnicodeString
No documentation node found for identifier :
#rtl.Classes.TBinaryObjectReader.ReadUnicodeString
No documentation node found for identifier :
#rtl.Classes.TAbstractObjectReader.ReadUnicodeString
No documentation node found for identifier :
#rtl.Classes.TReader.ReadUnicodeChar

[....snip....]
--------------------------

And after all that latex gives some errors and drops me to some latex
prompt for input... Why I do not know.... First some problem with
"facnyheads" and then another missing file "ptmr8t".  Sheezzz, how much
more must I download to full-fill the LaTeX docs requirements to
generate PDF docs!

-------------------
Package Fancyhdr Warning: \fancyhead's `E' option without twoside option
is use
less on input line 326.

))
Writing index file rtl.idx
(/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/tools/tabularx.sty
(/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/tools/array.sty))
No file rtl.aux.
(/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/psnfss/t1ptm.fd)kpathsea: Running
mktextfm ptmr8t
mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1;
nonstopmode; input ptmr8t
This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.6)

kpathsea: Running mktexmf ptmr8t
! I can't find file `ptmr8t'.
<*> ...:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input ptmr8t

Please type another input file name
! Emergency stop.
<*> ...:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input ptmr8t

Transcript written on mfput.log.
grep: ptmr8t.log: No such file or directory
mktextfm: `mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode;
input ptmr8t' failed to make ptmr8t.tfm.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.

! Font T1/ptm/m/n/10=ptmr8t at 10.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM) file
not found
.
<to be read again>
                   relax
l.41 \begin{document}

-------------------

I'm sorry Michael.... give me OpenOffice Writer any time of the day!
Plus it's a 170MB download which include the Java runtime environment
and all ODT documents work.

[warning... more ranting]
Maybe I should just drool over what is in the FPC latex docs and wait
for the next PDF downloads from the freepascal.org website.
[ranting stopped]

Do we maybe have "pdf document snapshots" (like we have for FPC &
Lazarus) one could download instead of jumping through all these LaTeX
loops to try and compile the documents ourselves?

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/