[fpc-devel] Redefine FillChar() to use out parameter instead

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at mastermaths.co.za
Thu Nov 19 08:40:14 CET 2009

Jonas Maebe wrote:

> Delphi compatibility. And Delphi does that because COM requires this
> behaviour.

Can't that behaviour be limited to Windows platform only. Now *all*
platforms and all non-COM code has to be stuck with the useless compiler
hint simply because of some Windows and more specifically Windows + COM
behaviour.

Such behaviour & implementation just doesn't seem right for a project
that prides itself by being a cross-platform compiler (project).

To me, Windows + COM seem the minority use-case here. But now all other
platform and Windows non-COM code seem stuck with the useless hint being
reported.

As I stated in the other mailing list. It's not about a obsession to get
hint & warning free code. It's about spoting REAL issues in code between
all the crap the compiler currently spits out. If your project uses a
lot of structure types, you can quickly sit with thousands of lines of
compiler hints like this one. There is no easy way of spotting real hint
compared to fake (useless) hints. And I definitely don't have the time
to seek through my rather large (200k + LOC projects) projects hint
output to try and figure out what is real and what is useless hints.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/