[fpc-devel] Installing "fpc-2.4.0-0.rc1.src.rpm" to OpenSuse 11.2

Joost van der Sluis joost at cnoc.nl
Mon Nov 16 10:15:59 CET 2009

On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 00:26 +0200, Juha Manninen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed FPC 2.4.0 rc1 from rpm packages for OpenSuse 11.2.
> I can't install  the source package "fpc-2.4.0-0.rc1.src.rpm" though.
>   "rpm -i fpc-2.4.0-0.rc1.src.rpm"
> or
>   "rpm -i --force fpc-2.4.0-0.rc1.src.rpm"
> give a warning about user joost and group joost missing and tells it uses root
> instead. It is a warning, not error, but still the files are not installed.
> The graphical rpm tools give an error but no explanation for it.
> Do anyone else have such problems?

Well, I think the package is normally installed. But this package
contains the sources to compile the package itself. Normally you don't
need it. The package contains only two files: fpc-2.4.0rc1-src.tar.gz
and fpc-2.4.0rc1.spec. It is installed in the packages-source dir of
your system. On Fedora it is: /usr/src/REDHAT/... I think SuSe has
another place for them.

That it is using my own name, well.. it shoudn't. But I think it has
nothing to do with the %files section (as it is the source-rpm). I'll
build it as fakeroot next time.

> Binary package "fpc-2.4.0-0.rc1.i386.rpm" installed fine after ignoring a
> dependency for libtinfo.so.5. It seems to affect the text IDE only, not the
> compiler and so is not a problem.

Hmm. I thought it would add no dependencies to the package. I'll look if
I can fix this.

> One more thing. Page
>   http://www.freepascal.org/develop.var
> has tells how to get latest development version of FPC from SVN.
> However it does not tell how to compile it.
> ./compiler/README.txt tells to read "programmers manual" which is not
> included. Now I am running "make all" at the source root dir.
> It is compiling already a long time. Is it the right way?

Yes.

Joost