[fpc-devel] Re: cpstrnew branch

"Vinzent Höfler" JeLlyFish.software at gmx.net
Wed Nov 11 20:46:44 CET 2009

Graeme Geldenhuys <graeme at mastermaths.co.za>:

[Codepages]
> Is FPC realistically going to implement all 2059 of those? I still think
> even using the 63 most frequently used code page values should be ample
> to keep FPC developers happy for quite some time.

So which 63 out of the whole set are to be implemented to save those precious bits?

Hey, we can store year numbers in two digits again, this saves 50% memory. No problem until in about 90 years...

Seriously, we shouldn't be concerned about the overhead of single-char strings - even in old TP it was 50% then. But shortstrings are not en vogue anymore; we hit the 255 chars limit years ago already. And then again, with such longer strings the imposed overhead is rather small.

Vinzent.
--
DSL-Preisknaller: DSL Komplettpakete von GMX schon für
16,99 Euro mtl.!* Hier klicken: http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl02