cpstrnew branch (was Re: [fpc-devel] Freepascal 2.4.0rc1 released)

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Wed Nov 11 11:04:59 CET 2009

Jonas Maebe wrote:
> RawWordString and RawDWordString don't make any sense. All Strings with
> 32 bit elements are UTF-32.

What about case sensitivity with "if str1=str2 then ..." ?

> Those with 16 bit elements can't be UTF-16
> big or little endian, or UCS-2, but I can't see why any programmer would
> want a routine to accept strings in any of those formats but not in any
> other format.

Strings are a perfect tool to just store some values, disregarding any
encoding. Something like dynamic arrays but with the benefit of
reference counting and using standard objects like TStringList.

AFAIK, the recent Delphi provides a completely new object for that
purpose, which I do think is not necessary at all, and braking a lot of
existing code.

-Michael