cpstrnew branch (was Re: [fpc-devel] Freepascal 2.4.0rc1 released)

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Wed Nov 11 10:52:53 CET 2009

Please read this document first: http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/38980

> - RawDWordString
> - RawWordString (handled like good old WideStrings ?(*) )
> - RawByteString (handled like good old Strings ?(*) )

RawWordString and RawDWordString don't make any sense. All Strings
with 32 bit elements are UTF-32. Those with 16 bit elements can't be
UTF-16 big or little endian, or UCS-2, but I can't see why any
programmer would want a routine to accept strings in any of those
formats but not in any other format. Normally, you'd pick one of those
(e.g., utf16string) and be done with it. E.g., MSEGui could perfectly
use utf16string everywhere (which would be equivalent to the current
unicodestring except for the extra 4/8 bytes), and it would work
pretty much the same as it does today.

Jonas