cpstrnew branch (was Re: [fpc-devel] Freepascal 2.4.0rc1 released)

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Wed Nov 11 10:50:10 CET 2009

Florian Klaempfl wrote:

> No. RawByteString means simply: encoding unknown, the string is just a
> couple of bytes (which could also form words or dwords) described by the
> the encoding and char size fields.

I  see. Bit this is exactly what I meant:

RawByteString, RawWordString and RawDWordString and RawQWordString are
distinguishable by the "character-size" (1, 2, 4, 8) tag. "x := str1[1]
is handled appropriately.

I feel that what Martin wants (the old Widestring type) would be a
two-Byte RawByteString. But if there are differences (e.g. with non case
sensitive "if str1= str2 then ...") an additional "WideChar" encoding
type might be sensible.

-Michael