[fpc-devel] Dynamically Loading Libraries

Jeppe Johansen jepjoh2 at kom.aau.dk
Tue Nov 10 23:24:48 CET 2009

Ivo Steinmann wrote:
> Hello all
>
> I started some wiki for dynamic loading libraries support discussion.
>
> http://wiki.freepascal.org/Dynamically_loading_headers
>
> I already added an experimental implementation. If you have got some
> ideas, whises and criticism, don't hesitate to write.
>
> -Ivo Steinmann
> <http://www.dict.cc/englisch-deutsch/criticism.html>

What about saying that
    procedure proc; external 'libname' name 'proc';
denotes a function that's dynamically loaded implicitly, while
    procedure proc; external name 'proc';
denotes a static linked function.

In my opinion that seems like the only logical solution. Explicit
dynamic loading will ofcourse still be possible, but you wouldn't need
tools or lots of ifdefs

I'm not aware of how well it would work on Mac platforms, but I'm mostly
certain most GNU/Linux and BSD's, and Windows has support for implicit
dynamic linking in the executable formats

This is ofcourse a solution that would require modification of the
compiler, but I think in the long run that it'll make alot of things
more comprehensible

Regards,
Jeppe