cpstrnew branch (was Re: [fpc-devel] Freepascal 2.4.0rc1 released)

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Tue Nov 10 12:45:26 CET 2009

Martin Schreiber wrote:
> Performance and simplicity. MSEgui does not need the overhead of
> multi-encoding/multi-charsize. At the moment msestring=UnicodeString for FPC
> 2.4 which is perfect. I fear FPC will drop this simple solution where it was
> ahead of Delphi.

Hmmm. I suppose with Linux (using utf-8 for the GUI interface to the
user programs), having the user program always use Widestring internally
and convert any GUI input and output string will feature an enormous
overhead.

I feel that just handling the multi-encoding String-management record
(with "encoding"6 and "character-size", which, in the case of GUI
generated and "meant for GUI" Strings, always is equal), would not
impose much overhead over using using the plain old String management
with just "reference-counter" and "contents-pointer".

-Michael