[fpc-devel] FPCUnit problem - do we fix or rewrite?

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue May 19 14:56:40 CEST 2009

On Tue, 19 May 2009, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 2:06 PM, Michael Van Canneyt
> <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:
>>
>> For me, a rewrite is the preferred option.
>
> OK, could you then please list all the things that bug you in the
> current FPCUnit, so we don't duplicate the issues.

The main issue is that the decorator stuff has been added as an
afterthought. It needs a more fundamental approach. If I remember
my conclusions well, we needed something like a basic TTestIterator
class, which should be used at all levels. I remember that Delphi
has such a class (or interface).

>> It should not affect thim, this should be a dogma...
>> After the fix, the decorator stuff should work 'as designed', but
>> the rest should remain the same.
>
> This is what I expected. :-)
>

>> I'm afraid I have seriously bad experiences with interfaces in FPC, and so
>> would not like to see them used.
>
> I have used Interfaces in a few of my projects and found it quite
> handy and can't say that I experienced any issues. I'm nothing near
> and expert with them though, but do "get" them. I have only been using
> the default Delphi/COM based Interfaces (if that's what you call
> them), not the Corba ones. At the time, the Corba Interfaces still had
> many issues, but I think they have all been resolved since.
>
> Could you clarify what issues you have experienced. If any bugs
> remain, maybe now would be a good time to resolve those as well.

See my other mail.

I must say that I was using mostly CORBA interfaces, to avoid reference
count issues. The Mozilla thing used normal COM interfaces.

Michael.