[fpc-devel] On code cleanup

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Sun May 3 13:24:36 CEST 2009

On 03 May 2009, at 13:08, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> On Sun, 3 May 2009, Jonas Maebe wrote:
>
>> I don't see what the problem is with stabilising/releasing 2.4 as
>> it is. If
>> generics and Delphi 2009-style ansistrings are not going to get
>> finished any
>> time soon, why not release 2.4 without them being finalised?
>
> Coming from someone who is very insistent on bugfree implementation
> and proper testing - and rightly so - this sounds very strange.

I insist on that for stuff I implement myself and for stuff merged to
fixes. I'd very much like that to be also the case for all new
functionality implemented by other people, but if I insisted on that
I'd probably either leave or drive almost everyone else away.

> As far as I know, there are still fundamental implementation problems
> with generics, and as long as they are not fixed, I wouldn't want to
> see it released.

They have already been released, twice. They would of course keep
their beta monicker. I'm as much in favour as anyone of having them
fixed, but if no one works on fixing them, should we never release
trunk anymore because the generics haven't been finished?

Jonas