[fpc-devel] On code cleanup

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Sun May 3 11:49:30 CEST 2009

On 03 May 2009, at 11:30, Marco van de Voort wrote:

> (I don't think the situation with 2.2.6 changed from the one with
> 2.2.4. I
> don't see a 2.4 release within the year happening.

I don't see what the problem is with stabilising/releasing 2.4 as it
is. If generics and Delphi 2009-style ansistrings are not going to get
finished any time soon, why not release 2.4 without them being
finalised? There are plenty of other improvements and changes. And the
longer we wait with releasing it,
a) the more time spent on merging (and discussing merges)
b) the bigger the changes will be for the end users and the harder it
will be to adapt programs
c) the harder it is for end users to test programs against it and to
find all errors before the release
d) the harder it is for us to stabilise it before the release (because
more changes -> more potential bugs)

Jonas