[fpc-devel] Re: Debugger for FPC

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Thu Mar 12 09:44:29 CET 2009

Op Thu, 12 Mar 2009, schreef Vincent Snijders:

> Graeme Geldenhuys schreef:
>> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 6:11 PM, Martin Schreiber <fpmse at bluewin.ch> wrote:
>>> Delphi/Kylix probably can't map a variable to the address of another
>>> variable,
>>> because of that Delphi needs separate implementations of format functions
>>> with and without FormatSettings parameter.
>>
>> To be honest that is not my concern... As a developer I simply use
>> ShortDateFormat and that's it.
>>

> I guess the fpc developers traded debuggability for maintainability, so you
> could have a better fpc (more features or less bugs). That is what it
> concerns to you as developer. Maybe you disagree with that trade off.

The GDB with all its cryptic stabs is not the most maintainable code of
the compiler so it's definately not a maintenance trade-off. In fact,
better debugaability would make maintenace of the compiler easier as well;
the compiler remains an incredibly complex piece of technology that isn't always
trivial to debug.

Daniël