[fpc-devel] Arbitrary-precision arithmetic unit

Alexander Klenin klenin at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 13:18:00 CET 2009

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 20:07, Florian Klaempfl <florian at freepascal.org> wrote:
>> 3) Finally, and relevantly for this list,
>>   should something like this be included into FPC?

> Imo in principle, yes, but:
> - simpler than NX library in the sense of less functionally, putting
> something like NX library in FPC is too much imo.
> - FPC rtl compatible license
Agree. But perhaps NX author would be willing to produce 'NX lite' library?

> - cross platform
This should not be a problem for such code.

> BTW: Maybe such an effort can improve fmtbcd as well. Or is it
> fundamentally flawed?
Wow, so FPC does contain an arbitrary-precision arithmetic unit after all.
No wonder I did not find it under such obscure name.
I do not think it is "fundamentally" flawed, just, as noted in the comments,
suitable more for compiler debugging then for it's primary purpose.
It can be improved by removing 50% of code and 99% of ifdefs,
but I guess it is easier to just rewrite it.

--
Alexander S. Klenin