[fpc-devel] fcgi under windows

BoBo bobo at aborka.com
Thu Jun 11 22:39:27 CEST 2009

Well, this is just my opinion - maybe others could say something too -
but I think it would clear up things a bit if we do the following things:

1. I think all the "Custom" variations should be removed it just
confuses new arrival people.
Any pro will know how to make those anyway.
Or make the description detailed enough so anyone reading it will know
what is the difference and when it should be used.
(for example we have "Program" and "Custom Program" that are barely
differs in anything but in some units in the use clause).

2. "The Program file is automatically maintained by Lazarus" should be
removed from the description for all of them. It doesn't say or mean
anything to people. It was always working like this from Delphi 1 so no
point in mentioning it. Just confuses new arrivals.

3. Simple CGI application should be removed since it is deprecated

4. "Application" should be called "GUI Application" so the 3 kinds of
programs one can build would be more clear

Program
Console Application
GUI Application
Library

(maybe even listed in the above order) currently it is

Application
Program
Console Application
Library
Custom Program

Same for the web development, it should be:

CGI Application
FastCGI Application
Apache Module

instead of the current:

Simple CGI Application
CGI Application
Custom CGI Application
Apache Module
FastCGI Application
Custom FastCGI Application

5. I am not sure about the FPCUnit Console Application and FPCUnit
Application, but do we need those there for the general public or it is
something used only for Lazarus/FPC developers?
If the latter then they all know how to make them (or they might copy
the already existing ones and change them) and we do not need them
listed there at all.
If we need them there, we can move those two at the end of the list.

In any case, I think it would be more simple an straightforward this way.

Any thoughts?

AB