[fpc-devel] Delphi smart-linking perspective ( Language change and implementation ... )

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Fri Jun 5 18:44:37 CEST 2009

Op Fri, 5 Jun 2009, schreef Paul Ishenin:

> How difficult is to teach compiler to remove them during compilation?

I sense a hope that somehow the compiler developments will ultimately be
able to turn large Lazarus executables into small ones. It is not
realistic.

The WPO features Jonas is working on are very promising, and I think he is
doing something unique, I know no competing compiler that does it.

But....

The compiler will never be automatically able to remove PNG readers, XML
parsers and so on, because the LCL deliberately is designed to make
executables handle such data.

What is resonable to expect is that due to advances into making the
compiler more clever, occasionally small gains will be achieved.

Daniël