[fpc-devel] TField.AsString and Databases with UTF-8 charset
graemeg at opensoft.homeip.net
Tue Jul 21 19:31:38 CEST 2009
Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
> I never use Char fields,
I can live with that...
> and I also don't use charsets in Firebird...
..but not with this! Here are just a few issues with using NONE as the default charset in a Firebird database.
* Firebird does NOT default to your system locale. It ignores
anything on you OS, so all databases on any OS in any locale
are treated the same.
* Firebird can't correctly uppercase, lowercase or no accent
* Firebird sorting of non-ASCII characters very wrong for
* Nothing in the database itself documents how the bytes
stored should be interpreted as characters
* When the same database is simultaneously or in succession
used by systems with different system default character
sets, the data will silently change meaning.
Our system will use accented characters and sorting will be important. We will also be accessing data from various locations (differing locales).
I'm Google'ing now for "firebird charset utf8" and reading the various articles. But I'll still be testing FBLib and IBX to see what they do and if they handle it the same as SqlDB.
- Graeme -
fpGUI - a cross-platform Free Pascal GUI toolkit
More information about the fpc-devel