[fpc-devel] TField.AsString and Databases with UTF-8 charset

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg at opensoft.homeip.net
Tue Jul 21 16:53:04 CEST 2009

Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> Which means firebird reports 8 to your application.

So does this issue only occur on my system and not on others? Do you
uses charset=UTF8 in your databases, and Firebird reports the correct
size for Char() fields?

I'll put together a small test case and sample Firebird database so I
can rule out tiOPF as a possible cause. I'll also double check using
different database components. I have SqlDB, FBLib and IBX (from Delphi
7) available here.

I'll see if I can put together a C-source example as well, which talks
directly to the firebird library. Hell, I can't even remember when last
I wrote a C program - hopefully the included Firebird examples will
help. :-(

If all goes well, can narrow down the search. I would be nice to know if
this issue is only on my system though. Could anybody else test this?

Regards,
   - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/