[fpc-devel] SVN "connection was closed" error

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg at opensoft.homeip.net
Fri Jul 10 11:53:12 CEST 2009

Florian Klaempfl wrote:

> Austria. If it helps you, we can also setup a git read only mirror on
> one of the European server.

I'm almost done cloning the FPC repository for Git usage. I'll place it
on the GitHub server - same as was done for the Lazarus (trunk) repository.

Difference being, the FPC mirror will contain all branches and tags -
the Lazarus one was only Trunk.

I think I passed the major obstacles with the SubVersion repository. The
first few commits were huge (lots and lots of files per revision) -
because of the CVS import and cloning the various branches (which again
flags many, many files per revision).  It took me 5 days to clone up
till r4000 - r5000. Yes I'm persistent in getting the Git mirror going. :)

But today, it is flying! I'm already at r10600, thanks to the new port
number and because the latter commits are only small changes so the SVN
timeout doesn't get triggered.

I don't know where the GitHub servers are located, but I have never
experienced any timeouts using Git. So clearly they handle TCP traffic
differently - and I have cloned quite large projects with it. Thanks for
the offer though, but I think it should be fine now.

Hopefully in a hour or two the FPC git mirror will be active. I'll post
a notice in this mailing list when I am done.

Regards,
   - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/