[fpc-devel] Zip archive for development trunk?

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Mon Jan 12 16:23:14 CET 2009

On 12 Jan 2009, at 16:16, David W Noon wrote:

> I just downloaded fpcbuild.zip from the trunk, which the Web site says
> should be 2.3.x. After I compiled and installed the compiler, it
> reported itself as 2.2.2.
>
> Is this simply a cosmetic discrepancy or is the zip archive back-
> level?

If you are on a unix platform, then in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin,
there is a symlink for ppc386 (or whatever your architecture is) to
the currently "active" version. A top-level make install will not
replace this symlink. You can either modify it yourself to point to ../
lib/fpc/2.3.1/ppc386, or perform a "make installsymlink" in fpc/
compiler after performing the top-level "make install".

Jonas

PS: when performing the top-level "make install", it's best to always
use "make install FPC=compiler/ppc386", otherwise some files may be
installed in a directory corresponding to the version number of the
currently installed compiler.