[fpc-devel] Linker crash

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Mon Feb 2 12:00:07 CET 2009

On 02 Feb 2009, at 11:51, Martin Schreiber wrote:

> Yes, I now that this is not a FPC problem but possibly someone finds
> the
> information useful.

There are also already a couple of bug reports about this in our bug
tracker.

> No, I don't want to submit a binutils bug report, I don't like to be
> beaten by
> the Linux gurus.

I've never been "beaten by the Linux gurus" for submitting Pascal-
related bug reports to gdb, or by discussing them on the gdb Archer
project list (someone from Red Hat recently fixed a bug in the gdb
Archer branch that only affected dwarf debug information generated by
FPC for Mac OS X -- i.e., not by gcc on any platform, and only on Mac
OS X when using FPC). See http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.debugging.archer/756

So please drop your prejudices. When submitting a bug report with
them, simply give as much information as possible so they can easily
reproduce it (preferably without having to install FPC, which
shouldn't be too difficult for a linker bug when using the -Cn
compiler switch). I'm not aware of any binutils/gdb developers
(there's some overlap) having an axe to grind with Pascal or non-gcc
compilers.

And if they say it's something that FPC does wrong, simply submit an
FPC bug report so we can look into it.

Jonas