[fpc-devel] Questions regarding PostgreSQL support in SqlDB

Desmond Coertzen patrolliekaptein at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 14:55:03 CEST 2009

Hi Graeme,

The libpq_api.pas that ships with FPC implements all the functions from the
version 3 native api on windows and linux. This .so/.dll is backwards
compatible even with the latest versions of postgresql server.

I tried TPQConnection in a production environment on a server-side deamon,
and bytea was the first missing data type that haunted me. The "encode"
postgres function will save you here: Encode your bytea field to hex, then
run a hextobin afterwards. (Sorry if you use dbAware components in this
case). Some other field types were missing as well, I did not try further
with this component and I'm hoping for more developments in the future as
well.

I also tried Zeos db components. They work with FPC very well, and the bytea
type encodes all characters correct when using TField.AsString, but there
was this massive memory leak somewhere when opening a dataset every time.
The leak was so bad it made the daemon unfit for production running. The
Zeos forum at that time laid the blame with FPC's TDataSet class, but I
could not bother to investigate if this was so or not. I was pressed for
time to release the software.

Because the version 3 API is so simple, it was too easy to use the
libpq_api.pas wrapper that comes with FPC, write a TDBConnection, TQuery and
TField (with the .As* functions for data types I needed) that compiled
nicely up to the TDataSet code compatibility. Of course, the code is not
usable to dbAware components because it is not a descendant of TDataSet,
but, it worked for everything I needed in those daemons, it is lightweight
and stable. !!*No support for parameters and prepared statements*!!

Judging from my experience, I think the FPC developers, given enough time,
can do some good work with their own TPQConnection, seeing that I'm still a
novice pascal programmer. If you are interested in my code, I can publish
somewhere and send you a url.

Desmond

On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 10:11 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com