[fpc-devel] RTTI and Attributes in Delphi 2010

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 00:20:39 CEST 2009

2009/8/16 Paul Ishenin <webpirat at mail.ru>:

> Currently RTTI is very limited - using it you can only enumerate published
> members, learn their types and default values (for properties). Attributes
> completely eliminates limitations.

Explain limitations? Surely you do not want any foreign class to query
your private or protected fields? Hence you decide what is viewable by
others, making them published. Plus, with the current RTTI you can
ever execute published methods etc.. I fail to see what everybody
always talk about when they say the RTTI limitations compared to
Reflection?

An exact example would be very helpful. And the old "property mapping
to database field" doesn't could, because that's a design preference
and such mappings are not always appropriate or possible.

Regards,
  - Graeme -