[fpc-devel] Is calling the Windows Unicode APIs really faster than the ANSI API's?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 20:16:36 CEST 2008

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 12:22 PM, Mattias Gaertner
<nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de> wrote:

> You can not normalize the composed and decomposed state platform
> independently. For example Linux ext3 does not normalize in any
> way and therefore distinguish between composed a-umlaut and decomposed
> a-umlaut. You can even use invalid UTF-8 sequences.

And the plot thickens...  :-)

>> Win32 'c:\aaaa\bbb.ext' will be normalized to MSEgui
>> form '/c:/aaaa/bbb.ext', Unicode composed normalization can be done
>> in the same step.
>
> Is this normalized form used only internally in msegui or must the user
> use them too?

I remember when I tried a MSEgui version some time back, that the IDE
itself used that "normalized form" filenames. I think any file select
dialogs etc uses that. I first thought it was a bug and reported it,
and was told it's normal.

I don't know if more recent versions of MSEgui has changed or not.
All I can say is that from a user perspective, those filenames are
weird. ;-)

Regards,
  - Graeme -