[fpc-devel] Is calling the Windows Unicode APIs really faster than the ANSI API's?

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Fri Sep 26 13:08:05 CEST 2008

In our previous episode, Michael Schnell said:
> >> need to be 32 bit if surrogates were allowed in Widestrings).
> >>
> How to squeeze a value > $FFFF in a 16 Bit value ?
>
> Can you magically store two bits in a single hardware cell ?

As said before, unicode is more than just expanding the range of characters.
The whole concept of character based parsing must be limited as much as
possible, since aside from encoding related conditions, there are also a lot
of language related issues.

IOW making an app support multiple languages is more than mapping in the
characters.