[fpc-devel] Is calling the Windows Unicode APIs really faster than the ANSI API's?

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Fri Sep 26 12:34:09 CEST 2008

In our previous episode, Ivo Steinmann said:
> > in the native encoding per platform.
> >

> I guess that would be one of the best solutions. Having a system unicode
> string type and then some specialized string types.
>
> SysString
> UTF8String
> UTF16String
> UTF32String
> Anyway, I still think something like this would be nice ;)

This originally was the plan. The implementation differed however between
different solutions due to problems with automated conversions.

However it turned out that Tiburon made a different choice, and chose to
keep tunicodestring UTF16 only, and map UTF-8 on ansistring (and add
codepages support to ansistring too)

Since the Tiburon system has the most important required properties, I think
it is useless to invent a different solution.

Btw, IMHO working with mixed encodings should be possible without using
procedures like "setencoding", that is hidden manual string handling, which
has no place in an automated system.

IOW the system should be declaritive.