[fpc-devel] Is calling the Windows Unicode APIs really faster than the ANSI API's?

Martin Schreiber fpmse at bluewin.ch
Fri Sep 26 11:46:11 CEST 2008

On Friday 26 September 2008 09.34:44 Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> Well if you have Utf-8 versions of all basic string processing
> functions like Pos, Length, Copy, Insert etc you don't have to think
> of encoding or anything. fpGUI uses UTF-8 internally, and I never have
> to think about what encoding I'm working with. I assume Lazarus LCL is
> the same.

It seems you prefer utf-8 over utf-16 for internal string encoding in a GUI
framework. Why?
I prefer utf-16 over utf-8 for MSEide+MSEgui because *all* current users
(including the Chinese) can use simple string index to access the characters
of their used languages and almost nobody can use string index to access
characters in utf-8.

Martin