[fpc-devel] Is calling the Windows Unicode APIs really faster than the ANSI API's?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 09:39:42 CEST 2008

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 9:27 AM, Florian Klaempfl
<florian at freepascal.org> wrote:

> Being honest, imo UTF-8 is only a hack to get unicode on platforms like
> unix.

I don't know where you get that information, but it's surely not what
I read from the unicode.org website.
UTF-8, UTF-16 and UTF-32 were all planned and officially support
encodings.  What I did find on the unicode.org website is that UTF-16
spec had to be amended afterwards because a Word size couldn't fit all
supported characters and surrogate pairs were introduced. To me UTF-16
sounds more like a hack than anything else.

Regards,
  - Graeme -