[fpc-devel] Unicodestring branch, please test and help fixing

listmember listmember at letterboxes.org
Wed Sep 10 16:09:01 CEST 2008

Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
> You are mixing 2 things:
>
> - Texts (strings) at the compiler language level.
> - (complex) GUI design that needs to handle a lot of text and a lot of extra
>    properties.

:)

If you draw the lines so red and thick, who am I to disagree...

But, I could write a gigantic data mining application, a database
application or a myriad of such apps that uses the above class without
doing a single pixel of GUI stuff.

> For GUI design, you may well need all the things you describe.
> And as I said before: you can do this yourself if you need it.

True.

I could also do my own TList, TStringList etc. etc. but, luckily I don't
have to.

I was under the impression, therefore, that stuff that makes life easier
for a number of developers get to be included into the main distribution
for common use; and not be rejected on the basis of /language level/ .