[fpc-devel] assign constant text to widestring

listmember listmember at letterboxes.org
Thu Oct 23 23:58:51 CEST 2008

 > DM>  Example: In Dutch uppercase characters generally do not get
 > tremas: Daniël becomes DANIEL. Should an uppercase routine worry?
 > No, this is a spelling convention, the correct uppercase of ë is
 > Ë, we should not confuse spelling with uppercasing.

No. This is not a spelling convention. It is a rule dictated by the
language the word is written in.

If the word "Daniël" is Dutch, then its uppercase is:

UpperCase("Daniël", langDutch) --> "DANIEL"

Fine.

Yet, if we don"t know what lang it is written, then the uppercase is:

UpperCase("Daniël", langUndefined) --> "DANIËL"

Now.. as I don't know Dutch at all, I wonder what the LowerCase
transforms would be for the same uppercased word, "DANIEL"

LowerCase("DANIEL", langDutch) --> "daniel"

or,

LowerCase("DANIEL", langDutch) --> "daniël"

or both?

If both, how do you pick the correct one?

 > Example also, in spanish "sólo" is different than "SOLO" and meaning
is different ( alone<>  only ).

Yes, it is impretative that we know the language of the word is in, so that

UpperCase("sólo", langSpanish) --> "SÓLO"
UpperCase("solo", langSpanish) --> "SOLO"

Otherwise, we may end up altering the meaning of the text.

UpperCase(), LowerCase() should not alter the meaning of the text.

This would be a crime in any other context.