[fpc-devel] assign constant text to widestring

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Thu Oct 23 09:53:10 CEST 2008

> Please read the entire thread, and if you have more question
> afterwards, then ask them.

In fact I don't have questions, but in this regard the way the compiler
(in Lazarus with default settings) works is very dissatisfying. IMHO the
only cure is to make the compiler aware of the UTF8Type, so that a
conversion UTF8 from and to Widestring can be done correctly and not
(incorrectly) erroneously assuming ANSIString instead and calling the
conversion function for same.

I suppose this might solve the constant assignment on the fly, but in
fact I feel that the compiler should generate a WideString constant at
compile time instead of calling a conversion function at run time.

-Michael