[fpc-devel] Unicode support in RTL - Roadmap

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 15:33:35 CET 2008

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 3:55 PM, Jeff Wormsley <daworm10 at comcast.net> wrote:
> such as SetLength, Length, stringvar[index], copy(string, index, count), pos
> etc. cannot work 100% reliably.  You don't know what the programmer wants
> when he says stringvar[3].  Does he mean the third character in the string?
>  Or the third byte in the memory array represented by the string (perhaps he
> was using a string as a buffer)?

That is why I currently use CharAt(str, i) in my projects and fpGUI -
instead of direct array access. CharAt() handles ANSI and UTF-8
strings perfectly.  Yes it might be slower, but I hardly ever need
character access for the type of applications I am writing. So using
CharAt() once or twice in my application is not a performance problem.

Regards,
  - Graeme -