[fpc-devel] Unicode conversion routines

JoshyFun joshyfun at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 19:56:44 CET 2008

Hello Florian,

Sunday, November 23, 2008, 6:51:35 PM, you wrote:

>> Only general case, language tailoring is a completly different beast.
[...]

FK> I think we should simply depend on the OS in this case like the cwstring
FK> unit does though linux doesn't make life easy in this case, it requires
FK> always a conversion to ucs-4 to get a string upper/lower cased.

Of course if OS provides functions, use them! they should be properly
implemented and will be even faster without memory serious impact, but
I'm quite sure that not all functions will be provided by all OSs.
Maybe a small subset should be available for platforms that do not
provide native support like DOS and a WideString or UnicodeString is
available, maybe as a separate unit to be linked in only if needed.

--
Best regards,
 JoshyFun