[fpc-devel] Unicode conversion routines

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Sun Nov 23 18:52:20 CET 2008

On 23 Nov 2008, at 18:38, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 7:19 PM, Michael Van Canneyt
> <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> That makes me wonder?  How does D2009 handle upper/lower case? Table
>>> lookups, or do they pass that on to Windows to handle?
>>
>> Most likely the latter.
>
> I would guess that too.... Which also means they are making it so much
> harder to ever support other platforms.

Not really. Pretty much every platform sports this sort of
functionality in the system libraries. The reason that FPC doesn't use
them on non-Windows, non-Mac OS X and non-Solaris, is because on these
other platforms FPC remains libc-independent as much as possible for
various reasons. It's very easy to abstract this though (as is done by
FPC's widestring manager) so you can use whatever you want under the
hood.

Jonas