[fpc-devel] Unicode support - for the 20th time... ;-)

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Thu Nov 20 11:55:13 CET 2008

>> * Copy, Length, Pos etc...?
>
> Yup.
>
>> * What about usage like:   SomeString[x] := 'A';
>
> String element based.
This also holds for Copy, Length, Pos, etc.

I thinks if would be a good idea to provide dedicated functions for the
"element based" (fast) and the "character based" (old style compatible,
easily readable) functionality. The user should be allowed to choose by
means of compiler directions which of them should be used with the
old-style notation. This would allow for not breaking old code.

>> * What if we call external API's with string parameters?  XLib,
>> OpenGL, Win32 etc?
>
> Auto-conversion based on type information.
type information could be static (different types) or dynamic (like with
D2009)

-Michael