[fpc-devel] Unicode and Lazarus

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Thu Nov 20 11:38:48 CET 2008

Op Thu, 20 Nov 2008, schreef Bernd Mueller:

> Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:
>>
>> I would like to hear of others actually have a better proposal for Lazarus.
>
> sorry, I have no idea since I am doing primarily embedded stuff. Speed and
> backward compatibility are the most important factors to me.
>
> But it seems, that not everybody is happy with the current Codegear Unicode
> solution:
>
>   https://forums.codegear.com/thread.jspa?threadID=7140&tstart=0
>
> After reading this thread, I am not sure, if Delphi 2009 compatibility is a
> must for FPC/Lazarus.

The complaints there are about lack of backwards compatibility, i.e.
people need to suddenly replace char by ansichar.

FPC will remain 100% compatible with old code. This is why there need to
be separate platforms. Platforms where char=ansichar for full
compatibility and platforms where char=widechar to take advantage of full
Unicode.

Daniël