[fpc-devel] FPC debug information

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Tue Nov 4 20:40:52 CET 2008

On 04 Nov 2008, at 14:33, dmitry boyarintsev wrote:

> What debug information FP-compiler generates?

Stabs or Dwarf.

> To make proper expression
> evaluation, debugger should be aware of properties, otherwise result
> of the
> lines like this:
>
> i := Memo1.Lines.Count; // there Lines and Count are properties
>
> cannot be evaluated.

It is impossible to encode properties in stabs. In Dwarf you can in
theory describe pretty much anything, but gdb does not yet support the
full Dwarf specifications. I guess it would be possible already to add
debug info for properties that simply map directly to a field, but
other than that I'm not sure if there's much we can do at this point.

Jonas