[fpc-devel] Why is FPC so self-contained ?

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Tue Nov 4 14:50:26 CET 2008

Bernd Mueller wrote:
> Michael Schnell wrote:
>
>> This is why I decided to handle this kind of complexity with an FPGA
>> with embedded (Linux-) Processor.
>
> which system/vendor did you choose?
We are going to design some controller boards with Altera Cyclone III
FPGAs. The "NIOS" processor is optimized for this FPGA architecture, is
very easily implemented into the HDL design, offers acceptable features
and speed (100 MHz, some 50 bogomips), can be selected to come with or
without MMU and there is a very active Linux community.

I have a "NEEK" demo board (with 32 MB DRAM) from Altera and Linux runs
very nicely on it (including Ethernet, touch-screen based nano-X etc.

-Michael