[fpc-devel] Unicode resourcestrings

Anton Kavalenka anton.k at tut.by
Mon Mar 3 12:49:45 CET 2008

Florian Klaempfl wrote:
> Martin Schreiber schrieb:

>>> Right. Try to compile the (utf-8 encoded) file without specifying a code
>>> page, this should result in the constants ending up in the resourcestring
>>> without processing.
>>>

>> And now the widestring constants are broken, see attachment...
>>

> Did you utf-8 decode the string constants?

Inside our projects there are lots of WIdeStrings handling.

For Delphi/Kylix we use the following dirty hack (somewhat reworked
routine from Borland RTL):
This one is Widows implementation,
There is also linux implementation

function LoadResStringW(const pRec: PResStringRec): WideString;
var
  hInst:cardinal;
  Buffer: array [0..1023] of char;
begin
  if pRec = nil then Exit;

  if pRec^.Identifier < 64*1024 then
  begin
    hInst:=FindResourceHInstance(pRec^.Module^);
    // try wide
    if LoadStringW(hInst,pRec^.Identifier, @Buffer, SizeOf(Buffer))>0 then
      Result:=PWideChar(@Buffer)
    else // try narrow
    if LoadString(hInst,pRec^.Identifier, @Buffer, SizeOf(Buffer))>0 then
      Result:=PChar(@Buffer)
    else
      Result:='-lost-';
  end
  else
    Result := PWideChar(pRec^.Identifier);
end;

To get the wide string from resource string by its identifier, we go the
following:

resourcestring
  sWideStringID='Some string';

var
    mw:WideString;

mw:=LoadresStringW(@sWideStringID)

Under FPC there is special implementation, but dirty hack does not work
all the time, since there is hard to determine - where was the resource
string
was implicitly decoded to current codepage. PRestringRec is boralnd
specific, under FPC it is PAnsiString;

function LoadResStringW(const pRec: PResStringRec): WideString;inline;
begin
  if pRec=nil then
  Result:=''
  else
  begin
    {$ifdef LINUX}
    Result:=PAnsiString(pRec)^;
    {$else}
    {$ifdef WindowsUnicodeSupport}
    Result:=UTF8Decode(PAnsiString(pRec)^);
    {$else}
    Result:=PAnsiString(pRec)^;
    {$endif}
    {$endif}
  end;
end;
{$ENDIF} // end platform-compiler dependent string loader

Please help -
How to implement that dirty hack.

Best regards,
Anton Kavalenka