[fpc-devel] Need patch for bugs : 0011503 / 0009472

Boian Mitov mitov at mitov.com
Thu Jun 19 13:21:38 CEST 2008

    Hi Jonas,

Thank you!
I don't understand. 0011503 is a major failure. Is it in the compiler or in
some library?
This code:

  Atest := TTest.Create();
  Atest := NIL;

will release properly the reference at assignment to NIL

this code does not:

  Atest := TestFunc();
  Atest := NIL;

This is a huge problem. This code must work the same way in both cases but
it does not. We are porting a huge library of over 4 million lines of code
from Delphi. This is a major show stopper. I can probably take a look in the
compiler as it will be much easier and faster for us to fix the compiler to
be Delphi compatible rather than rewriting the libraries. They rely heavily
on interfaces and the correct reference counting. Rewriting this even if
desirable will delay the project with at least a year at best. By definition
when there are no active references to an interface it must be released.
This is a total failure of the functionality.

  With best regards,
    Boian Mitov

Mitov Software
http://www.mitov.com