[fpc-devel] Russian locale information not compatible withFPClocale variables

"Vinzent Höfler" JeLlyFish.software at gmx.net
Thu Jul 31 00:11:37 CEST 2008

> On 30 Jul 2008, at 16:35, Boian Mitov wrote:
>
> > The future is not likely to be in faster systems, but in more cores.
> > This seems to be the consensus lately among the processor architects.
>
> It's the consensus between the marketing departments of various
> processor manufacturers, because that's what they're delivering now
> and in the short term future. As shown by Amdahl's law, just adding
> more and more cores stops getting you significant performance gains
> fairly soon (even if 95% of your code is perfectly parallelisable).
>
> See e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amdahl's_law

Well, try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustafson's_Law for a comparison.

And don't forget, despite the name, those are not laws, not even theories. See, Moore's Law turned out to be wrong after all. ;)

Of course, you're right in the general case. Personally, I seriously doubt that we will see a desktop system with hundreds of processors in the next few years or so. Practical benchmarks these days have shown, that a Quad-Core gains almost nothing compared to a cheaper Dual-Core in most practical circumstances. Of course, that's what the processor architects are trying to change here. But considering the majority of desktop users, what would an e-mail program or word-processor gain from 64 cores? 99% of the time it's idling anyway...

Vinzent.
Jetzt dabei sein: http://www.shortview.de/wasistshortview.php?mc=sv_ext_mf@gmx