[fpc-devel] Russian locale information not compatible with FPC locale variables

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Wed Jul 30 13:27:59 CEST 2008

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 10:48 AM, Michael Van Canneyt
> <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:
> >
> > But we are few, we have day jobs, and we're not being paid for any of this.
>
> I'm in the same boat. And I did offer to extend or start writing tests
> cases to help implementation.  I'm not a compiler developer (I don't
> understand any of it's internals), but I can help implement Unicode
> enabled string functions.  We have a few implementations floating
> around already.

This is so, and is good, but compiler support for a new string type is
of a different order...

> > And that is the whole explanation for some features not being there:
> > it's open source, and a hobby project for the core teams.
>
> I did not demand the unicode features... I simply stated a shortcoming
> when I started this thread and asked how I could proceed with a
> work-around.

I am not targeting anyone in particular, definitely not you...

But the huge discussion about features in FPC is a bit gratuitous,
because as always, many people participate in the discussion, but
there are too few that actually help out.

Ideas and plans are not the problem.

Manpower and time are usually the problem in FPC. Compared to the
GCC team or Mono, we're seriously understaffed.

Michael.