[fpc-devel] Russian locale information not compatible with FPC locale variables

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 11:29:18 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 11:04 AM, Florian Klaempfl
<florian at freepascal.org> wrote:

> We spent this time frame with making FPC multiplatform. Knowing what's

And I thank you again for it.  :)

> delphi.non-technical is yellow press made by users for users.

What better place to find out what users think of a product.  After
all, they are the people using it.  I don't want to hear from the
Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero sales and marketing team, I want to hear
from the actual people using the product!  That newsgroup does just
that.

> FPC has unicode support for years. Remember what a widestring is?

So I'm just imagining the locale issue with U+00A0 character? Plus the
knock-on affect to FormatFloat, FormatDateTime etc..

Does FPC have any any functions that work correctly with surrogate
pair used by UTF-16?  If so, it would same me a lot of time
implementing them myself.  What would Pos, Length, Copy etc return?
BTW: If it comes down to it that I have implement UTF-16 string
functions myself, you are more that welcome to use the code in FPC.
:)

>> long ago like it could have, it might just have boosted FPC usage,
>
> Unlikely. Anyways, who is interested in usage? The important part is
> contribution.

With usage comes contributions!  Nobody can deny that.

> The MSE is fully unicode. How much people use it and contribute? Without
> Martin, MSE would be dead.

Nope, MSE only supports UCS2, not full UTF-16.  And off the top of my
head I know of myself, Felipe and Michael van C. that had a look at
MSE. It's just to hard to read Martin's code and be able to
contribute.  He has a very different coding style. It works for him,
but unfortunately not for others.

Regards,
 - Graeme -