[fpc-devel] Russian locale information not compatible with FPC locale variables

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Wed Jul 30 11:08:50 CEST 2008

> Zitat von Michael Schnell <mschnell at lumino.de>:
>
> >  - AFAIK, CIL seems to improve some of the Java shortcomings
>
> I'm curious. Has someone evidence for that?

The CIL bytecode removes the typing needed only for interpreting, and thus
might be a bit more JIT friendly, and in general the requirement to
interpret is not there, and never has been. I don't know what recent Java's
change there though. I'm no VM technician, so I can't comment on how useful
this really is.

Microsoft was also more vocal from the start about supporting it to other
languages, including from other classes of languages (e.g functional
languages) from the start. While Sun tried to keep control, and keep JVM
about Java. However that afaik has changed on the Java side too since. I
think this has all been more intention and marketing that superiority on the
CIL part.

Just like they have been very vocal about possibilities for
portability too, something they have never supported. Sometimes I think .NET
is more about loosening Microsofts ties to PC and Intel, to allow them to
pull off architecture migration stunts a la Apple, than it is about
programming.