[fpc-devel] Russian locale information not compatible with FPC locale variables

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Tue Jul 29 15:51:19 CEST 2008

> > Why, according to you, is Oxygen Object Pascal at all?  Aside from their
> > advertizements? Just if you compare the base subset ?
> >
> Is there some independent definition of the term "Object Pascal" ? I
> don't suppose so.

Well, there is the actual Object Pascal standard draft. Delphi deviates
quite some from that though.

> So they are right to claim that they are compatible to
> Object pascal :) .

"compatible" is nonsense, since they are not compatible to any of the
roughly three preexisting ones. Descendant could be said, but I don't even
see much evidence for that. There is a superficial resemblance in the parser
model and that is about it.

They are about as Pascal as Perl is C because they both have curly braces
and some similar operator names.

> Of course Oxygen is a lot less compatible to Delphi than FP is. They are
> greatly CIL centric

"less compatible"?!?!? Can Oxygen actually compile and execute any preexisting
code in any Pascal dialect ?

> OTOH they claim that "Delphi for .NET" is not a decent way to
> write CIL code at all.

Probably. But that doesn't make them "Object Pascal".

I do recognize that Rem Objects needs some language to package and promote
their frameworks (the thing they are IMHO good in), but the featurelist is a
bunch of C# me too's.

Of course they will greatly stress the improved readability and the like,
but I would too if I had to sell it :-)